Sunday, September 16, 2012

Road Trip/Day 2 - July 22nd - Lunch in Laramie, WY and Dinner in Lexington, NE


We woke up bright and early Sunday morning in Laramie, Wyoming.  I had plans to go to church.  The kids had plans to swim.  So . . . we did both.  We swam, Ian slept in the hottub, and we found an LDS church that met at 11 a.m.  

After church, we were all famished.  We looked on Yelp (the most awesome app) for restaurant recommendations.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints asks its members to keep the Sabbath Day Holy.  One thing we do as a family to make Sundays special is to not eat out on Sundays.  I thought I'd make an exception since we were on the road traveling and I didn't feel like eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches.  

I found four restaurants that got 4 stars.  They all sounded FANTASTIC!  I called each restaurant on my list:  ALL were closed on Sunday.  What?!  We weren't in Utah County and I still couldn't break the Sabbath no matter how hard I tried.  (It actually taught me a lesson to be prepared with a cooler of food just in case. :)

With 3 starving children crying in the backseat, I continued to call more restaurants further down the list that received only 2-3 stars on Yelp.  I finally found one that was open . . . The 17th St. Cafe.  And . . . they had a special on Fried Chicken!!  If any one knows me at all, they know I despise chicken on a bone.  I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of gnawing on a bone of any animal.  I figured they must have something else on the menu I could order, so we headed toward the cafe.

We arrived and our waitress seated us.  Everyone ordered the Fried Chicken Special, except for difficult me.  
Here's how the conversation went between me and the waitress:
Me:  Do you have anything gluten-free?
Waitress:  Gluten what?
Me:  Do you have anything without wheat or flour in it?
Waitress:  All we've got like that is a salad.
Me:  OK.  I guess I'll take the salad without croutons.
Waitress:  No croutons?
Me:  Right.  They've got wheat in them.
Waitress:  OK.
(Food is delivered to us 15 minutes later.  Everyone's chicken dinners come first, and finally, my salad arrives.  The waitress sits in down in front of me.  I stare at it for a moment in disbelief.  There are croutons tossed through the entire salad.  Not just sitting on top.  One second later, the waitress notices the croutons.  She grabs my plate away from me and screams . . .)
Waitress:  Oh, crap!  They put the croutons on it.
(She runs away with my plate and disappears back to the kitchen.  I hear her yelling at the kitchen help.  She reappears 3 minutes later with the SAME salad.)
Waitress:  We picked all the croutons out.  Sorry about that.
Me:  (Silence. . .  Really???)







After my disappointing lunch, we got back on the road, heading towards Lexington, Nebraska.  Mom was a big help with the driving.


Carson was King of the Day!  He chose to eat at San Pedro's, a delicious looking Mexican restaurant, for dinner.  We took pictures in front of the restaurant, walked inside, and the owner looked at us and said, "We are closing!"  Ooh!  So disappointing!


So . . . we headed to Wendy's, Carson's 2nd choice.  Wendy's cups and fry holders all claim to be the "hottest, juiciest, and freshest!"  Unfortunately, my baked potato was a few days old and turning grey.  It was a sad day of eating for this girl.  It gave the kids and I lots of stories to laugh about over the next week of the trip!



No comments: