Friday, September 24, 2010

My Hubby's Nightmare on the Airplane


Do you ever get a teeny bit of enjoyment from hearing about other people's misfortunes? Admit it. Just a little bit of happiness knowing that other people have bad days too!

My husband went to Seattle, Washington, for some computer training last week. He was gone for an ENTIRE WEEK! No kids to run around, eating out at whatever restaurants he wanted to, no one to tuck in at night . . . I'd say it was pretty much a vacation from the family :)

When he walked in the door to our home after his "vacation" he looked exhausted. What?! How could he be tired?! "How was your trip?" I asked, knowing from the look on his face that the answer was not going to be positive.

"You will never believe what happened to me on the airplane," he grumbled.

Oh, boy. This was going to be good. After my week of running kids around 24/7, gobs of homework, lots of disciplining . . . it had to be a rough trip to equal up to my fabulous week!

He started his story. "OK. I sat down in my aisle seat on a really small airplane. There were 2 seats: the aisle and the window. I was exhausted because I hadn't slept the night before (he'd injured his shoulder lifting weights), so I hunkered down in my seat waiting for the plane to take off. Suddenly, I noticed a VERY LARGE man sidling up the aisle towards me. He could hardly fit through between the seats. I had a sinking feeling that he was heading towards the window seat next to me. Guess what? I was right. I stood up so he could SQUEEZE his way in beside me. He put up the armrest so he'd have more space and laid against me during the ENTIRE TRIP."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, not really feeling that bad for him.

"Oh, wait till you hear the rest of it. After this EXTREMELY LARGE man sat down next to me, another HUGE woman walks up the aisle towards me carrying 2 huge bags and balancing a large coffee in her hand. There was nowhere to put her luggage above her own seat, so she walked over to the carrier above my seat and tried to heft one of her carry ons above my head. Suddenly, she lost the grip on her coffee cup and dumped at least 6 oz. of coffee all over my head, neck and pants!"

I tried to look sorry for him. "Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry you had coffee dumped on you. Were you scalded?"

"No. Fortunately it was luke warm."

Oh. Poor guy. I think my week was still worse than his plane trip!

"Guess what? That's not all!"

Oh, great. More sad stories. What else could've happened to him?

"I drifted off to sleep against the man beside me. I was in a deep sleep, mind you. Suddenly I felt some hands grab my sides. I jumped up and yelped!"

"Was it the large man loving you up?!" I asked.

"No. It was a kid sitting behind me. He reached through the cracks in the cushions and grabbed both my sides. He totally interrupted my nap!"

Poor guy. It did sound like a rough trip. I tried to look sympathetic as I said, "Well, I'm glad you are home safe. We missed you. I need to head out for a bit cuz I've been cooped up all week. See ya soon!"

2 comments:

acreed said...

I have a story to compare with that one Vanessa. My trip to Lithuania last summer provided Kaylyn with a very long laugh.

Kaylyn Reed said...

I don't know, THIS was SO funny!!! It's not too often that I sit in front of the computer, all by myself, and bust-a-gut laughing. Oh, if only I could have been a fly on the wall. Thanks for sharing.