Sunday, February 3, 2013

Vomit

Driving home to Utah from California is never easy.  This year was especially difficult.  We'd spent 4 days at the beach in 50 degree temperatures and were heading back to snow and 0 degree temperatures.    We were leaving family and heading back to a dirty house and Christmas decorations that needed to be taken down.

After leaving Mesquite, Nevada, early Sunday morning for the last push home, Carson said, "Mom, I feel kind of sick."

"Grab a bag!" I yelled to the other kids in the backseat.

"We can't find one," they replied.  No one had even looked.  They were all busy watching movies and listening to music.  No one cared that little Carson was about to vomit all over the seat.

I decided to take matters into my own hands.  I rolled down the window and tossed my Diet Pepsi out of my 42 oz. cup.  "Ah!"  The kids all screamed as some of the soda splashed onto the them.  My aim isn't all that great.

"What are you doing, Vanessa?!" Aaron said from the driver's seat.

"Getting something for Carson to throw up in!" I screamed.

"He's not going to throw up," Aaron responded.  "Calm down."

I handed Carson the 42 oz. cup and he immediately filled it with sausage biscuits and gravy, a waffle, orange juice and a danish.  His entire meal from the Continental Breakfast fit into that cup.

I was a hero.  We stopped along the side of the road and left that cup as a treat for the next passerby.  After Carson threw up, Cali miraculously found this bag in the back seat for her brother to hold.  No one complained about the long trip after that.  Everyone just prayed to get home with no more vomit.

No comments: