Sunday, February 3, 2013

Proof is in the Butt Shot

The St. George 1/2 Marathon was different this year.  Normally, I go down to St. George with a couple of friends Friday night, run the race on Saturday morning, and drive back exhausted as soon as the race is over.  Somehow, everyone talked their spouses into running the 5k this year, and spending the weekend with us.  It was fabulous!  The guys got to enjoy all of the crazy pre-race rituals:  laying out the race clothes the night before, wondering if different race clothes should be worn instead, setting and resetting alarms, planning the morning pre-race menu . . . Aaron looked around at the craziness and said, "If we are leaving at 8 am for the race, wake me up at 7:45."  He takes a very different approach. 

A couple of race stories:  I ran behind this man in the white Ogden shirt for most of the race.  I'm not sure if he beat me to the finish line or if I beat him, but this picture makes it look like we formed some kind of a bond along the way.  We really didn't talk because I couldn't breathe.  He looks happy, like he's feeling good.  I look . . . perplexed and beaten down!

I was so happy to be done.  The last 3 miles nearly did me in!

Marisa rocked the race.  She came in 1st place in her age division.  Amazing!!  

When I reached Mile 9 of the race, I was done.  I couldn't breathe, my stomach was cramping, and I couldn't get my GU or my Zipp Fizz bottles up to my mouth because my hands had stopped functioning.  A cheerful looking group of guys was running beside Marisa and me at this point in the race.  One of the guys asked, "How are you doing?"  

"I feel like I'm going to crap my pants," I panted.

"What?!" he asked.  He couldn't hear me because I was barely breathing.  

I gathered some breath and yelled, "I think I'm going to crap my pants!"

"Oh.  Don't do that.  It would ruin your pants," he said laughing.

I kept running.  I kept gasping.  I didn't poo my pants.  The above picture is proof.  Clean drawers.  

Almost better than a medal!

Fabulous running friends.  They both look great in sunglasses.  I wish I could wear a pair, but I was told by the guy at The Sunglass Hut (after he tried to fit me with a pair of sunglasses for over an hour) that I don't have a bridge on my nose, and therefore am not a candidate to be a sunglass wearer.  What are the chances of being born without a bridge?

 So proud of our guys!
 Aaron rocked the 5k.  He ran it in 25:56.  So awesome!!
 The whole clan!  A huge thank you to Jeff and Stacy for letting us stay at their house!
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure this is what I'd look like with a "B" cup.  I stuffed my sports bra with toilet paper for potty stops, but since I didn't have to go, I looked more well-endowed than usual at the conclusion of the race.  Thanks everyone for the fabulous weekend!

All photos courtesy of Jason Rucker.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Thanks for the updates, Ness! I miss you guys. Running on the beach looks so dreamy. Actually, running anywhere more than from the couch to the kitchen sounds nice to me right now:)