Saturday, June 9, 2012

Utah Valley Marathon 2012

 So, I've had this bum foot.  I had to take a month off of running.  I was really depressed because I put in a whole winter of training in order to run the Salt Lake Marathon, the Ogden Marathon, and Utah Valley Marathon.  The races were expensive.  I only got to run 7 miles of Salt Lake (and got no medal since I didn't finish) and 0 miles of Ogden (and got no medal since I didn't even start the race!)  My foot started to feel a bit better, so I started running a few days a week with Jill, in hopes that I could be ready for Utah Valley.  My foot was sore each day I ran.  So . . . the Utah Valley Marathon rolls around.  Should I or shouldn't I?  I decided to run the first 1/2 so I wouldn't miss out on the "fun"!  But then . . . I went to the Expo and saw THE MEDAL.  It was a very cool medal.  If I didn't cross the starting line and the finish line I wouldn't get one.  What's a girl to do?  I picked Jill up at 3:15 a.m. and saw this ADORABLE sign that her daughter had made for us.  I was feeling pumped!
 We took a picture of ourselves on the front stoop, got in the car and headed towards Provo.  I ate 2 pancakes with peanut butter in the parking lot, found Marisa, Sarah, Sterling, and Joel, and hopped on the bus.  I ate a bowl of Cinnamon Chex cereal on the bus.  Lots of pre-race food.  I really had to go potty.  It was a long bus ride!
We rotated 3 times through the porta-potty line.  I was feeling very lethargic with only 2 hours of sleep under my belt.  I decided to take a swig of DayQuil, put in a tampon, went potty one last time . . . I was ready.  I wasn't going to poo, cough, or bleed out during the race.  (I know.  Too much information.  But who else says stuff like this!)

The race was insane.  A headwind followed us through the entire course, whether we were running North, South, East, or West.  I know.  Sounds crazy.  But true!  Actually, I don't know my directions very well.  I just know the wind was in front of us the whole time.

I made it to Mile 13 and kept on truckin'!  The medal was on my mind.

At Mile 21 I saw my AMAZING brother, Caleb, cheering me on in jeans and a t-shirt.  He had his IPad in his hands to keep him company.  Nonetheless, I did not feel guilty in the least gasping, "Caleb.  Please.  Come run with me.  I need help!"  

He ran the rest of the race with me, all the time saying things like, "Great form, Ness!" even though I looked like a 3 legged stumbling elephant at this point.  

At Mile 24 I yelled something like, "I'm a Mormon from Utah with an Afro!"  I thought this was very funny.  I'm not sure why.  I also yelled at the bystanders.  "Cheer me on, People!"  I don't think tired runners are very likeable.

I FINALLY crossed the finish line.  I got the cool medal.  I cannot walk now.  I will probably be out for another month.  Was it worth it?  Oh, yeah.  Am I certifiably insane?  Hubby totally thinks so.


Jennifer said...

Congratulations on making it through the whole thing!!! You definitely give me motivation to keep up with my slogging (slow-jogging)!! Way to go!! :)

Peanut M&Ms said...

wish I could have been there to help cheer you on!!! hope we can talk soon!

Lohra said...

Way to go! I want to see the medal!!! Is it cooler than the one for SL?