Saturday, December 19, 2009

This is the Life!



Being the mother of a 6-year-old boy, is kind of like eating a box of chocolates: you never know what you are going to get!

The other day, Carson came home from kindergarten acting very suspicious. He kept patting his coat pocket and doing nervous twitchy eyes. Being the intuitive mother that I am, I quickly asked, "Carson, what's in your pocket?"

"Nothing, Mom!"

I pushed harder, "Carson, I know there is something in your pocket. I need you to show it to me."

"NO! I mean, there's nothing in it." He quickly ran into his bedroom and reappeared without his coat.

"Carson! Go get whatever is in your pocket right now!"

He reemerged from his bedroom with a piece of paper. He slapped it on the counter and said, "I wish Mrs. Hyer wouldn't have written this."

On the counter was our family's first naughty note sent home from a teacher. Cali, Ian, and Nyah, never received a naughty note, so I wasn't quite sure how to react.

"Dear Mrs. Heber,
Carson and __________ were fighting on the rug when I was out of the room. Please talk to him about it."

What to do? "Carson, why were you fighting?"

"We weren't fighting, we were wrestling."

"Carson, you know you don't wrestle in school."

"Uh, we weren't wrestling, we were playing!"

What a talker! And all this from the same boy that told his entire Primary class of innocent little 5 and 6 year olds that, "There isn't a Santa Claus!" What was I going to do with this kid?

I decided to give the matter some time to sink in while I made Carson some lunch: his usual, a turkey and cheese bagel sandwich. I had to run some quick errands, so he ate the sandwich on the go.

I looked over at my "sweet" 6-year-old, sitting beside me in the car eating his sandwich. He took a bite, looked back at me, and said, "This is the life!"

I looked at my little guy at that moment and thought, "Yes, it is frustrating that Carson was "fighting" at school. It is also sad that he doesn't believe Santa is a big man in a red suit. But, he knows how to melt my heart with his smile and cute one-liners. He is right. This is the life!"

**By the way, the little guy lost his computer privileges for "fighting", but earned them back soon after by totally kissing up to his mom!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I hope that blank spot wasn't Morgan. :) What a funny kid! Sometimes I wish I could be a fly & follow Morgan around the class & see how she acts. In my friends daughters class they have a window that they can go and watch their kids, and the kids have no idea. Wouldn't that be nice. :)

homegirl said...

When your as cute as he is its no wonder why kissing up makes mom melt!

BushlingX7 said...

He sounds like a charmer. He's looks alone would get him out of trouble here. hehe